Thursday, March 5, 2009

the job

I started that new job on Monday. I was very excited to have found a part time job that seemed like the perfect mesh of a great schedule for a mom of two young kids and an environment and job description that matched my interests.

Our Nanny came over Monday about 11:30 and took over kid duty, while I hurried off to the subway to catch a train.

(Job downside #1- distance)

I was to meet my Korean co-teacher at a subway stop that was about 50 minutes from my front door to the subway exit. After I met up with her, we had to get on a city bus and go another 10 minutes to the front gates of Seoul Women's University, where our elementary school was located.

(Job downside #2- distance. Yes, I mentioned it about, but I think a 1 hour each way commute deserves attention.)

My Korean co-teacher handled all of the discussions with the elementary school staff about which classrooms we would be in, class times etc. I just nodded and smiled a lot.

(job downside #3- they do not heat Korean classrooms. I am NOT kidding. It was COLD. The kids keep their winter jackets on the whole time.)

Between 1-4pm we met with 3 classes. I knew the point of the job was to help these Korean children learn English thru song/dance/acting/fun, but I didnt realize the full meaning of that.

(job downside #4- Korean children wander about the school on their own, no lining up, no raising your hand to go to the bathroom, seemingly no discipline.)

Just fun. No structured learning, no goals to achieve, no plans to map out.

Just fun and games.

This might sound fun to you, and it probably does, but its not my style. I loved the idea of using songs and games to help the kids learn English, but I also crave structure and organization and goals and pats on the back for jobs well done.

That just isnt how this job rolls. And that's fine, but its not for me.

Thankfully, I had opted to work the first day without pay or signing a contract, so I could determine if I meshed with the job.

I didn't mesh, so I wont be taking the job.

End of story.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

You win some, you lose some:) Way to go for getting out there!!