Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Weekend Recap: Korean Wedding

On Saturday, Jason and I went to a wedding! One of Jason's dearest friends from back in his Fort Jackson days met and fell in love with a Korean girl while he was stationed here last year. They continued their relationship long distance after he moved to Ft Lee, VA, and this weekend- they were married.


We got all gussied up, and left around 5pm, leaving our Nanny to put the kids to bed.

(And OH MY did I FREAK OUT about that!!! Someone ELSE! Putting MY KIDS TO BED!!! But all went well and she even texted me and told me when they were both fast asleep.The next morning I discovered Emma's night time pull Up was on backwards and she had left a small light on in Jackson's room-but it didnt seem to phase him. )

DSC_0420

We had to take 3 different subway lines to get to the wedding hall that was about 45 minutes away from our apartment.

DSC_0426

Outside the wedding hall sat this fully decorated car- I am assuming it was a gift for the newlyweds.

We arrived just in time for the ceremony, and here is Jason's friend getting ready to walk down the aisle...

DSC_0430

Exchanging rings...

DSC_0439

The ceremony (a near tradition American ceremony) lasted about 20 minutes, but it was a LONG 20 minutes as it was all in Korean!

Immediately after the ceremony, the photographer takes all of the family photos.

DSC_0458

DSC_0454

They even took one big group shot with the bride and groom, and all their friends (including us!)

After the ceremony, we headed upstairs to the reception hall. At this reception, you sit down and eat a big Korean family style meal.

DSC_0459

(In case you were wondering, it was not very vegetarian friendly)

DSC_0464

Some sort of soup with a meaty bone floating around)

DSC_0465

These are rice balls-a dessert item- very raw sugarless doughy and not good in my opinion.

DSC_0466

I dont even know.

I ate rice, some kimchi (fermented garlicy cabbage) and some of the fruit.


Here is the happy couple "cutting" the cake.
DSC_0474

I dont think the cake was real, as they didnt eat any, and none was offered to the guests.

And yes, there was a smoke machine.

Jason and his buddy- the groom.

DSC_0502

While we were eating, the bride and groom took some posed pictures, and then walked from table to table to thank the guests for coming. When you are done eating, you leave!

No dancing. No merriment. No cake or champagne.Sigh.

Best of luck to our friend, it was an honor to be able to go to his wedding!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The wedding pictures are Beautiful!!!