We've been attending on of the many on post church services offered. We've chosen a contemporary protestant service. I'll be honest, we mainly chose this service because the time was ideal for getting our children to church. Service starts at 9:30am, is over at 10:30am and then there is about 30 minutes of fellowship time involving muffins and bagels and coffee etc.
(our church)
I've never been a member of a Contemporary church service. The service is protestant, non-specific to accommodate the different Protestant beliefs present on a military Post. I grew up Presbyterian, and that falls under Protestant. And if you arent sure what contemporary means, these are my thoughts:
- casual dress. Many attendees are in jeans.
- projection screen for ministers to use as a resource during their sermons and for the Praise Team to use for sharing song lyrics with the congregation.
- clapping! Raising your hands, laying your hands on others needing prayers.
- Contemporary Christian songs during the praise and worship part of the service instead of traditional hymns
I was raised very very traditional. Dressing in your best clothes for church, sitting quietly on your pew, holding hymn books, keeping a smile on your face.
Now, I do still love all of the traditional protestant churches I have been a member of. I can see myself going back to those types of services in the future. But for now, I am really enjoying this change of worship style.
When people sing along to Praise Team led songs, they really seem to get connected to the service and to God. They might lift up their hands, they might clap. There is a feeling in the air of Love for God. It's as if this contemporary music style is enabling people to really open up their hearts for Jesus. I know for me, this style of worship has made me feel more connected to God. I am comfortably able to be more emotional during church services. If something moves me to tears, its ok because very likely-others are in tears too.
Often times our ministers will ask for people to stand up if they are going thru a personal struggle. They don't have to talk about it at all, but the minister asks the congregation to surround these standing people and lay their hands on their shoulders while we all pray. It is intense. It is spiritual. It is emotionally draining sometimes. People walk about with red eyes and balled up Kleenex's. But they are feeling God's presence in their lives.
For me, being in this more expressive style of worship has opened me up. I can reference God's power in my conversations with friends, I can lead a prayer at bible study, I'm no longer timid when it comes to discussing my religion.
I am so thankful that the military allows for various denominations of church services to be led on Post. There are so many different religions practiced on Posts and there is a service available for just about all of them!
Praise God!
1 comment:
This is so great!! I love that you love it! God is good!
Post a Comment