Saturday, February 6, 2010

Ensuring her place in the Ivy Leagues

Right around the New Year an opportunity presented itself to send Emma to an International School out in Seoul.

An International School (at least as it applies here in Korea), is a private school where English is the main language spoken, and the students come from various foreign backgrounds. In Korea, this usually means the International School is predominately made up of Korean children whose parents wanted them to have an English education. The teachers are American, Canandian, British and Korean. But English is the language spoken in the school.

Foreigners (like us) usually are offered a discounted rate to attend, because without native English speaking children- its not an International School.

Unlike Emma's on-Post preschool (which I loved but was only two mornings a week), this school is 5 days a week, 9am-3pm.

And Emma rides a school bus.

Emma started on Monday, and a handful of her friends also enrolled at the same time (which is very very nice, and without other friends going there, I would not have sent her to this school).

It is a big new adventure. I'll share a few pictures of the school next week, and how this new adventure is positively affecting Jackson and I's time together, but first let me share some pictures from Emma's first day at the bus stop.

DSC_0005

I walk Emma to the bus stop- which is less than half a mile from our apartment at the parking lot of the gate to Post closest to us.

On the first day, Emma gladly walked and Jackson strolled, whiling eating his breakfast in him jammies, but since then I have been using a double jogging stroller for both of them to ride in that I purchased from a friend.

DSC_0007

This is her bus friend. I hang out with his mother quite a bit. We toured the school together and debated endlessly about whether or not we should send our children.

DSC_0011

(normally she rides a yellow bus, but on this day it was tan. Go figure)


Emma loves her new school. She's not crazy about the Korean lunches they prepare, and she doensnt know the names of any of her Korean friends, but apparently it was someones birthday today (a Korean girl) and she got to share in the birthday cake.


Oh what fun.

No comments: