Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Am not dying!

So, on Friday saw my family practice doctor (brought the kids along too! Twas a party!) and described my physical state as of late:

extreme fatigue
shakiness that feels as if it is related to a sugar imbalance
not dizzy, but a feeling like the floor is uneven
excessive sweating. EXCESSIVE.

He sent me (and the kids!) for a blood panel. The thyroid test is not back yet (1 week) but the rest of the results came back normal.

I am not:

Aneamic
Diabetic
Hypoglycemic

He gave me a lecture about proper nutrition, suggested a book at the library, and sent me on my way.

Well, I've been making a conscious effort to start my day off with a protein packed energy bar, a piece of fruit, and a full glass of water. But Sunday was a BAD day. We went to Brunch for Father's Day, and I was feeling very "off". PLus, Jason said the room was cold, and I was literally leaving sweat puddles in my seat. And the uneven floor feeling was very strong.

By Sunday night, I decided that I simply could not begin another full week of kid-rearing feeling like this. I was seriously worried I would just pass out on the kids. So, I opted to put the kids to bed, then head to the ER (on Post) for more tests, and another doctor's perspective.

I got:

An EKG (healthy heart!)
further blood tests (nothing wrong here!)
and an referral to an Internal Medicine doctor.

(Remeber- I am a day ahead of most of you)

So, my internalist appt was this morning, and the lady Doctor was wonderful. Lots of questions, lots of ponderings, much like I imagine it would be like to be a patient on House (tv show).

Very long story short, we don't have any definitive answers, she highly suspects that my body is in a menopause-like state due to a bad reaction to the Depo birth control shot that I got for the first time ever, in mid-April- when all the fatigue etc started.

It sooo makes sense. Especially that excessive sweating! Hot flashes! So, I am not meant to be on birth control. My body retaliates!

And unfortunately, since it is a 3 month shot, I wont be back to "normal" until mid-July.

Could be worse though!


(It does feel a little awkward discussing my birth controls methods and health with the internet at large, but hey! Maybe this will help one of you!)


So, I feel like I had enough tests run on me that I can safely say I am not dying from any rare diseases or tumors. My iron levels are actually pretty good, and I seem to process sugar fine.


She also sent me off with a bag full (literally) of allergy meds because I have always always been slightly congested, and she thinks I might have allergies that are causing some of the fatigue and headaches. I also have some pills for the dizzy-like symptoms.


So. Am not dying. I'll just be living the next month very sweaty and tired.

Sigh.


So sorry to all of you that have been or are going thru Menopause right now! It's HORRID!

3 comments:

Mama Seoul said...

You should try a neti pot instead of, or in addition to, allergy meds. I have allergies and sinus and I just use the neti to treat them. If I do it regularly, I rarely have problems.

http://www.himalayaninstitute.org/Netipot/NetiPotGateway.aspx
Basically, you run warm salt water through your nose and it flushes the allergens out and helps keep nasal packages open so your sinuses can drain. Sinus infections occur because the stuff cant get out.

If I am having a problem I do it twice a day (or as many times as necessary) and once a day for maintenance if I am not having problems. the more consistent I am with neti use, the fewer headaches, sinu infections and running nose/sneezing episodes I have.

Mama Seoul said...

Also, good for you for going back for a second opinion. You knew something was wrong and you just needed the right doc to find it.

Anonymous said...

I'm awfully glad that you're not dying. Hope you feel better soon. Menopause symptons are NOT fun. Aunt Jo