Monday, June 1, 2009

The Nanny

Our Nanny's name is Lisa. Well, that isnt her real name. I have no idea her real name actually. Likely something I could not pronounce. Go me! She's from the Philippines, and has worked in Korea for decades as a Nanny.

I found her thru an on-post ad-board back in January and we've used her regularly ever since. She's even put the kids to bed on a few occasions. Having her around has been a true life-saver for me in these first few months in Korea. I have had a lot of adjustments to make as I get used to the culture, a new home, and trying to keep connected with Jason as we both go thru all these new life changes. Having Lisa to to care for the children while we go out, or while I just take Emma out for some mommy/daughter time, has been so so wonderful.

She could just watch the kids and leave it at that, but somehow she manages to do waaay more cleaning than I ever could, all while keeping them happy. Dishes and laundry are a regular item for her, bathroom trash and bathroom toilets are a nice every once in a while treat, and sometimes she'll truly go above and beyond and tackle some crazy disorganized and dirty area like my makeup vanity, and turn it into something sparkly clean and neat. She's amazing I tell you!

Well, we've been here coming up on 6 months, we are settled, and while we will continue to use Nanny Lisa, we've cut back on her hours. I just don't need her to come 15 hours a week like she was. Maybe 5-8 hours, but that's all really. I've gained confidence in taking both kids out into Korea by myself, and my days are filled with playdates with friends. Plus, I really need to get back on a budget that saves money rather than spends money!

I dont know why I havent snapped a picture of her before, but here she is last week on the sofa with the kids.

DSC_0182

On this particular day, she had come to watch both Emma and Jackson while I went out and used up my Mother's Day mani/pedi gift certificate. By the time I arrived back home at 3pm, it was pouring rain outside. Buckets. Nanny Lisa was suppose to come back at 7pm so Jason and I could go out and have dinner with friends. It made no sense to send her out into the rain to go back home for a few hours and then have to venture back out into the bad weather. I offered to let her just hang out with us for the 4 hours in between. And so she did! I even cooked her dinner! Quesedillas with homemade salsa and sour cream! It was a dish she had never tried, and she said she liked it.

She's not very stern with the kids, and Emma often acts out under Nanny Lisa's supervision, but the kids do love her. Maybe because they know they can get away with jumping on the bed and eating a smorsgasboard of snacks. But she takes good care of them. She often chooses to bathe Jackson after he has a "movement" rather than just use wipes, because that is the Filipino way. And at bedtime, she'll lay down with Emma.

I trust her to take the kids for walks, and to the playground and even over to other friends' houses. She's wonderful.

She's wonderful.

No comments: