I have always thought cloth diapering was crazy talk. C R A Z Y talk. Of course, I never really new anything about, I just imagined hours upon hours of hand scrubbing dirty cloth diapers day after day.
Not for me.
And then, some of my fellow blog friends started using cloth diapers. And sure, I heard things like "better for the environment!" and "cheaper in the long run!" , but I wasnt sold on the idea.
I had some serious concerns about cleaning the diapers.
I wanted to learn more, so I consulted Google (as Google really does know everything), and learned that they make flushable liners to place in the cloth diapers, to catch the...poo, and then you just take the liner and drop it in the toilet and you are good to go! No scrubbing poo!
I literally spent days scouring all of the online cloth diaper retailers looking for cloth diapers that would be the best match for my life and my budget.
One night, while browsing thru cute crafted items on ETSY, I realized that there might be an ETSY seller that makes and sells cloth diapers! I love love love supporting ETSY sellers. There are so many incredibly talented crafters out there!
I found a seller that just sounded like the perfect match for my wants. She works at home, hand makes these cloth diapers, and they have layer upon layer of flannel and terry to keep baby dry, even at night. Her fabric choices were adorable, her customer service outstanding, and the price was just right for my budget at $10 per all-in-one cloth diaper.
I decided to order 8 cloth diapers.
They arrived yesterday, and today was my first day trying them out.
Arent those patterns adorable?!
Having never seen a cloth diaper in person, I was a little surprised by how big they are. I know they have to be big because they need to have lots of layers of fabric, but I am afraid some of Jackson's shorts/pants wont fit over the new diapers! Haha!
Pardon the poor lighting, but here is the inside of one of the diapers.
And here is Jackson, modeling his first cloth diaper.
Ah, the cuteness. I love his big padded bottom.
So, my first day of cloth diapering didnt really go too well. Maybe I am not pulling the velcro tight enough, or maybe my son pees in funny directions, but the first diaper ended up wet on the outside front, the second diaper (totally my fault) had a very untimely large messy poop when I didnt expect one, so I didnt have a flushable liner in place. OH MY. That was fun to clean by hand! The 3rd diaper had a leg hole leak, and now Jackson is tucked in bed with his 4th cloth diaper on when the dirty cloth diapers are getting a good 2 hour run in the washing machine with HOT water.
I also didnt expect Jackson to be so...devious. He easily figured out he can get the velcro open if I dont put pants on him over the diaper. yeah. So, in the future, maybe I will see if I can get snap diapers, or I'll just put some pants on my kid! Haha.
I really want this cloth diapering to work out. I'm not really doing it for the environment (although obviously a plus) and I am not really doing it to save money in the long run (we'll see), I just felt that I needed to try cloth diapering. My mother tried cloth diapering with me, and however I can include her memory in my life now, I want to try.
And, I live with a giant life checklist, and cloth diapering is on it.
So, check!
2 comments:
Funny post! Sounds like Jackson has you in "check-mate";D I hope it gets better!
You might need to wash the diapers several times before he wears them. Sometimes you have to prime the diapers so they will be absorbent by washing and drying a few times.
Post a Comment