Monday, April 27, 2009

Redemption

We went to church! Oh my! We've been to church once since arriving in Korea. It was an all-Korean presbyterian service, and while the congregants were extremely friendly, we really need a church with an English service.

So, the last time we went to church was January 4th.

I know. I know! Heathens*!

I needed to find a church. So, this Sunday, even though Jason had to work, I decided to pack up the kids and go to a English Korean church about 1.5 miles down the road from us. Another mom friend and her 3 kids met us at the 711 downstairs and we headed off to the bus stop across the street.

'Cept, no buses came by with the bus numbers we were looking for. Hmmm... So, we decided to walk a little further to another bus stop. No luck there either. But this point, we think we are about half way to the church so we might as well walk the whole way. I had Jackson in the Ergo, My friend Lisa carried Emma, and her children (older) walked nearby. At one point we had to go over a bridge, and to do that we had to walk up 3 flights of stairs and then down three flights of stairs. TIRED.

We finally made it to the church just in time for the service to start. They had childcare for Lisa's children, but apparently they dont have a nusery for ages 3 and under. What? Huh?

So, Lisa and I took Jackson and Emma to Big Church. And Big Church it was. This is one of those BIG churches with a HUGE stage with several musicians (singers and instrumentalists) that lead the music part of the worship service. Great music. They had a hallway area adjacent to the sactuary that was for parents of young children, so most of the time Jackson and I hung out in the hallway area, while Emma sat in the service with my friend.

The service was 2 hours long.

That is a long time to sit in a hallway.

When I wasnt chasing down Jackson, I could hear some of the sermon (piped in via speakers and a tv) and I thought the message was good. It's a very contemporary church, and I am used to traditional, but the overall feel was very open/comfortable.

The church is run by Koreans and Foreigners, and everything is done in English. Actually, the majority of the congregants are Korean! I guess they like to go to an English speaking church to keep their English skills up.

Next week, they are having the service at a nearby river park and playground area! No hallway for me! Haha.

Oh, did I mention the church service is 4pm on Sundays? That is the PERFECT time for young kids. Just finished up their naps and had snacks and are ready for adventure.

I am going to email the staff to see what can be down about a nusery for children 3 and under (there was some talk of starting one up, but it didnt seem that promising for being available anytime soon). If if I spent the whole service staffing the nusery, it would be better than wrangling Jackson in a random non-baby proofed/friendly hallway!

So, it was a big adventure, but I was so happy to have made the effort.




*I am not saying you are a heathen if you dont go to church. To each his own.

No comments: